Make A List. . .
No this is not a Christmas post. And yes I know Christmas is over for another year. But there is something to be said about the other half of the Christmas season celebrations – the New Year!
Everyone talks about reflecting on the passing year and looking forward to the new with a list of goals, objectives, accountability and every other vehicle known to guarantee success in the coming 12 months of our lives. . . and businesses!
We’re encouraged to make a list. A list of what we want to accomplish in the new year and how we plan to do so. We’re also encouraged to determine ways in which we’ll hold ourselves accountable for achieving said goals. Find another woman in business who is a woman of faith with whom you can ‘bond’ and hold each other accountable. Seems reasonable to me.
With the above in mind; here’s my list for 2018:
- REFLECT on the past 12 to 18 months in my life – business and personal. What worked. What didn’t! Why didn’t it work? Was I remiss? Was I not listening to Heavenly PAPA to get His directions?
- PRAY! First seek guidance from my PAPA Who has the answers I need for my plan.
- TAKE what I believe to be a divinely inspired plan to 2 or 3 trusted mentors or advisors. Folks who know me well and know what purpose is resting on my life at this point.
- LISTEN and LEARN. Listen to their wise counsel and put their suggestions for “tweaking” the plan into practice. Learn what I need to know/do to make certain the plan succeeds as it’s designed to do!
- DEVELOP strategic actions for a well-honed and shaped plan; and put them in place!
- MARKET. Take the plan to the marketplace and trust PAPA to bring those who will most benefit from what we offer.
In other words, when I follow His plan, sharpened with the wisdom of trusted advisers and a solid set of strategic actions; I can expect a divinely inspired marketing plan to produce the “fruit” of our labors. . .A community of Christian business women hanging out together for the benefit of each other. Hanging out online and face to face!
Check It Twice. . .
Too often, we set goals for a new year without adequate preparation. They are vague and too general. They are goals anyone could have written for us with just a hint of what we’ve been up to – and what we want to be up to in the coming months!
Goals must be deliberately specific and reflect what I’ve come to know is my God-given purpose or “destiny” in life. Both in business and in my personal life. Goal-setting anytime of year is not a quick fix. And it is not something that needs only be taken seriously at the close of one year and entry into the next!
Setting goals is about making our God-gifted destinies come to pass. It’s the process by which that will happen. Not always in the time frame we desire; but in the time frame Heavenly PAPA determines is best.
- Piece of Truth: If I’m not ready for it; then it’s not going to happen no matter how many goals I set; strategic actions I pen onto paper or brilliant marketing techniques I put into place! It’s all about timing. . .
One might think that “Checking It Twice” relates to checking the goals we’ve set to make certain they are s.m.a.r.t. (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic/relevant and time bound). And while that’s an important part of the process; in my case, ‘checking it twice’ means a bit more.
- SEEK wisdom and understanding. Am I pursuing (or still pursuing) what I’ve come to know is PAPA’s destiny design for my life? Is the business I’m pursuing now a part of that destiny? Or am I pursuing something not remotely related to same? If so, why? Where did I go off course? What must I do to get back on track? (I must do this on a continual basis since that which sparkles but is not gold, can easily lead me astray.)
- PRAY over the goals I’ve written down. Ask for PAPA’s confirmation (or rejection) of each goal. Engage Him in conversation so that I have clarity and understanding of each goal and how it fits into the overall process ‘we’ desire. Let Him make each one specific, measurable, attainable, realistic/relevant and time-bound***
- STAY with the process of checking and re-checking the goals I’ve set and all that encompasses (see #s 5 and 6 above). In other words, stay in conversation with PAPA God throughout the process in order to stay on track with the entire process of bringing about what He and me want in the coming year!
Personally Specific. . .
My goals for the coming new year are personal and specific to my business life. The same is true for yours. Our goals may be s.m.a.r.t., but they will be uniquely ours and rarely will 2 sets of goals be the same. Even business partners or associates working together in the same business will have slightly different goals unique to their role.
What We Have In Common!
Christian women in business have a shared faith in common. That shared faith takes shape and form in each woman’s life according to the destiny design PAPA God has placed in them. Some call it “passion”; others it “vocation”. Whatever we call it; it requires us to set goals for making it happen. The thing we might want to consider is how our faith plays a role in setting goals – a course of direction and action – from year to year. Perhaps our faith commitment ought make the goal-setting process look a bit different. Perhaps we ought make it about how we put them together. . .
And to Whom we turn for wisdom, guidance and direction.
Linda S. Fitzgerald, M.S.Ed, CEO & Visionary Partner
A Women’s Place Network, Inc. dba
Affiliated Women International
Building a Community of Christian Business Women
You’ll find us at the following locations-Come Join Us!
Neighborhood Boutiques – OPEN ALWAYS!
The Neighborhood at Facebook
AWIBoutiques at Facebook
***On rare occasions PAPA will ask us to do something totally not realistic or relevant. Nor does what He asks appear attainable. Pray until you have absolute assurance that He is the One asking. If you feel so led, take to your faithful advisers; but ultimately the decision to go or no-go will be between you and PAPA! Would anyone in their right mind have thought Jesus “goal” of going to the Cross was a s.m.a.r.t. goal?
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]https://affiliatedwomeninternational.com//wp-content/uploads/2015/05/linda-google-NB-profile-pic.jpg[/author_image] [author_info]I’m Visionary Partner for Affiliated Women International (AWI) and have a fiery passion to see women become all they are designed to be – personally, professional and spiritually. The AWI mission is to connect Christian women in business worldwide via our Neighborhood Boutiques private ‘neighborhood’ network community. We inspire, educate, motivate and inform our members for success and encourage them to help each other succeed in life and business![/author_info] [/author]